1 cup red wine vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper
8 ounces green beans, trimmed and cut
8 ounces yellow wax beans, trimmed and cut
1 (15.5 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
1. Heat the vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, 1 teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper in a small saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Pour into a bowl large enough to hold the salad and set aside.
2. Cook the green beans and yellow beans in 3 quarts boiling water seasoned with 1 tablespoon salt until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Plunge the beans immediately into ice water and allow to cook for 2 minutes before draining.
3. Stir all the beeans, the onion and the parsley into the vinegar mixture and refrigerate at least 8 hours to let the flavors meld. Bring to room temperature for 30 minutes and season with salt and pepper to taste before serving.
– best flavor, prepare this salad a day before
– easy preparation, use can green and yellow beans (make sure you drain and rinse)
– keeps in the refrigerator for days, taste improves each day
Source: Three-Bean Salad. “The America’s Test Kitchen Family Cookbook. “America’s Test Kitchen, 2005. 89.