Have I told you I’m a teacher? I’m a library media specialist who loves her work! I also love blogging and cooking and spending time in the kitchen, but I don’t have much time on my hands. When it comes to my vegetable beef soup I have to be patient though… well, a little bit! It takes me two whole days to prepare this soup, but it’s worth it! On the first day, I put a small chuck roast in the crock pot (trimming all the fat I can), along with one cup water, salt (kosher salt to be exact), pepper, onion powder, garlic salt and paprika to taste. I then turn my crock pot on low and leave for school. When I come home, I add all the other ingredients, cook on low for 2 hours. I then put my crock pot bowl in the refrigerator overnight. Before leaving for school, I put my crock pot bowl on the base, plug-in and leave it on low all day. When I walk in the door from a long day at school, I’m welcomed by the wonderful smell. All I have to do is ladle the soup in bowls and enjoy. Oh, I forgot…I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to go with the soup. It’s a tradition!
One side note…Do you love the little blue bird in the soup bowl? This is one of my favorite soup bowls with a hand-painted bird on the inside. I purchased it at one of my favorite stores – Marshalls. I think I paid $1.00 for it. Love those bargains!
All the meat, vegetables and spices are in the crock pot. I use to put regular potatoes, but lately, I’ve been adding sweet potatoes instead. Along with the carrots, they add color to this soup.
Add the vegetable broth and tomato juice.
This is what it looks like before I close the lid to the crock pot. The bay leaf is missing, but it is tucked in the center.
This is what it looks like when I open the lid on the second day. Soup’s on!
- 1 small chuck roast, trim fat
- 1 cup water
- seasonings to taste (kosher salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic salt, paprika)
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 potato, sweet or regular, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 celery, stalks, sliced
- 2 cups green beans, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- dash allspice
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- dash red pepper flakes
- ¼ cup parsley
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1 bay leaf
- DAY ONE: Put a small chuck roast in a crock pot. Season to taste (kosher salt, pepper, garlic salt, onion powder, paprika). Cover, cook on low for 8-9 hours. Shred meat with a fork. Add all other ingredients to crock pot, stir and cook on low for two hours. Put crock pot bowl in refrigerator overnight.
- DAY TWO: Remove in the morning and continue to cook soup on low for 8-9 hours. Serve.