If you had asked me ten years ago how to make my chicken salad, I would have shared with you a totally different way to prepare the main ingredient…the chicken. It wasn’t until I visited a favorite, local coffee-house that I changed the way I prepared the chicken. In fact, I don’t prepare it at all. I have switched from frying my chicken to popping open a can of chicken. When I had the chicken salad at Lawte’ Coffee House for the first time, I asked for the recipe. Unfortunately, the owner would not share it with me, but she did share one secret. She used canned chicken from Sam’s Club.
After that discovery, I took my original recipe for chicken salad and made one change. I swapped fried chicken for canned chicken. It was a great change! Please note…any canned chicken will work, but the best is the Member’s Mark brand from Sam’s Club. I have one other important thing to share. For as long as I’ve made chicken salad, I have never measured anything. This has always been a “throw things together and season to taste” recipe for me. I have shared approximate amounts of each ingredient, but one piece of advice is to season to taste. I don’t think you can go wrong with this combination of ingredients. This chicken salad recipe has never failed me and is loved by those who I’ve shared it with!
Another great salad recipe for Pimento Cheese can be found here.
- 2 cans chicken (see note in summary)
- seasoned salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- poultry seasoning (1/2 teaspoon)
- salt (I now use sea salt) (1/4 teaspoon)
- freshly ground pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- celery flakes or celery seed (1/4 teaspoon)
- prepared ground mustard (3/4 teaspoon)
- real mayonnaise (1/2 cup)
- grapes (any color, seedless) (1/2 cup, halved)
- walnuts, chopped (1 cup)
- Drain each can of chicken.
- Using fingers, shred chicken and put into a large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with the seasoned salt, poultry season, sea salt, pepper, celery flakes and mustard.
- Mix in mayonnaise. Stir until mixed well.
- Add grapes and walnuts.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve on bread, crackers or on top of a bed of lettuce.