I’m guest posting over at Bakers’ Stock where I share the recipe for these
Cherry Poke Cupcakes.
You can also receive a printer-friendly copy of these spongy, with a little surprise in the middle, cupcakes at the bottom of this post!
Start with these, or any other cupcake liners.Create the sponge cake dough and fill the cupcake liners.Poke holes in baked cupcakes.Add prepared Jell-O. Top with Cream Cheese Frosting, red and white sugar and a flag.
- Scant 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- Pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium eggs
- Scant 1 ½ cups self-rising flour
- 1 package (4 serving) Jell-O Cherry Flavor Gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- Line cupcake tins with baking cups .
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place the butter, sugar, salt and vanilla extract in a bowl and cream together until pale.
- Beat the eggs lightly in another bowl and slowly add to the butter mixture while beating lightly.
- Once all the egg has been added and combined with the butter mixture, sift in the flour a little at a time and fold through until the batter is just combined. Divide the batter between 24 cupcake liners.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- The cupcakes are done when a tester is inserted in the middle and comes out clean.
- Transfer baked cupcakes to a rack to cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, in another bowl stir 1 cup of boiling water into the gelatin mix.
- Stir Jell-O for two minutes or until completely dissolved.
- Using a large fork, poke a few holes in the top of each baked cupcake.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of Jell-O over the top allowing the liquid to seep through holes.
- Frost each cupcake with cream cheese frosting.
- Store cupcakes in refrigerator.
- Cream Cheese Frosting: 7 oz. cream cheese, 1 cup unsalted softened butter, pinch of salt, 4⅓ cups sifted powdered sugar, ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix all ingredients and beat until smooth and spreadable.